Mobile, Ala. - The College of Coastal Georgia knocked off Brenau Thursday night in the opening round of the Southern States Athletic Conference tournament, defeating the Golden Tigers 5-4 at the Mobile Tennis Center.
The Mariners (11-9) led 2-1 after doubles where they split the matches in the top two spots and won the third match by default.
They would actually go into singles leading 3-1 because they were getting a forfeit win at the No. 6 slot. Thus, needing two wins in five matcvhes, the Mariners got just that as Daniella Caruso and Paige DeLaPerriere both won in straight sets to give the Mariners the five points needed to win the match.
Caruso teamed with Samantha Sepe at the top doubles spot to give the Mariners their win in the two matches that were played.
The win was the second this season for the Mariners over the Tigers. They also defeated Brenau 6-3 last month in Macon. The Tigers were ranked No. 13 in the country at the time. Both teams entered Thursday's match receiving votes for the national poll. Coastal Georgia is the No. 4 seed for the tournament while Brenau was the No. 5.
The Mariners last made the SSAC semifinals in 2015. They are scheduled to face top-seeded William Carey at noon on Friday for a berth in the league championship match. William Carey rolled to a 9-0 win Thursday over Dalton State.
The complete results from the Brenau match are below:
Coastal Georgia def. Brenau 5-4
1. Daniella Caruso (CGA) def. Maya Mammetgulyyeva (BU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Patricia Recalde (BU) def. Samantha Sepe (CGA) 6-1, 6-2
3. Paula Rives (BU) def. Samantha Lasslett (CGA) 6-0, 6-2
4. Elizabeth Bielicki (BU) def. Lindsey Lawing (CGA) 7-5, 4-6, 10-8
5. Paige DeLaPerriere (CGA) def. Carmen Lopez (BU) 6-1, 6-1
6. Madeline Garner (CGA) won by default
1. Sepe/Caruso (CGA) def. Recalde/Rives (BU) 8-3
2. Mammetgulyyeva/Bielicki (BU) def. Garner/ DeLaPerriere (CGA) 8-4
3. Lawing/Lasslett (CGA) won by default